PREPOSITION - 1
Objective:To enable the learners to identify some of the common errors pertaining to use of
prepositions in sentences.
Preposition is one of the parts of speech which means to place something before (pre + position) a noun or
pronoun. The role of preposition in a sentence is to show the relationship between subject and object /
noun and noun / noun and adjective / noun and pronoun etc.
1. The cow is on the field.
2. She is fond of ice cream.
3. She told me about it.
4. They were nice to her.
Although preposition is generally placed before the words it governs, it will also appear in some other
1. Who are you talking to?
2. The boy wants something to play with.
3. What are you arguing for?
Prepositions are mainly of three kinds. They are
1. Simple (ex: in, on, at, by, which, into, about, across, along, among, between etc.)
2. Complex or Phrasal Prepositions (ex: inspite of, in addition to, along with because of)
3. Prepositions which look like adjectives / verbs (ex: including, following, barring, unlike)
Prepositions have a wide variety of roles to play in the sentences they are used. For instance, they indicate
things like time, place, direction, movement, comparison, means/instrumentality, concession and source of
The following sentences explain different roles of prepositions in the sentences.
1. Ram confuses to make a choice between mango and apple.(position)
2. The A.P. Express starts from Hyderabad to Delhi.(movement and direction)
3. The programme was over by 3 ‘o’ Clock.(time)
4. He could not attend the meeting due to his ill health.(reason)
5. They went to hotel for Biryani.(purpose)
6. Mary chops meat with a knife. (instrument)
7. They are traveling by car.(means)
8. Despite of the busy schedule, the chairman turned up to the meeting.(concession)
9. He fights like a lion.(comparison)
10. John does his job with utmost care. (manner)
11. They brought vegetables from market. (source)
Prepositions Exercises for Practice - I
Put in the correct preposition.
1) My friend is good ___playing volleyball.
2) She protests ___discrimination.
3) She is afraid ___cats.
4) The family doesn't feel ___going outing this season. .
5) The company is looking forward ___giving bonus to its workers.
6) She dreams ___becoming a doctor.
7) She apologized ___her misbehavior.
8) Does she agree ___what you explained?
9) Parents often insist ___good manners.
10) Peter reminded me ___ my appointment with doctor
11) The child is allergic __insect stings.
12) Peter reminded me __my appointment with doctor.
13) The patrolling van chased the thieves ___the lanes.
14) The secret __success lies __hard work.
15) She said airily that she had not smoked ___ages.
16) Mr.Sethi lives __an apartment building in Hyderabad.
17) The father’s role was brought to life__ the actor.
18) The P.M. congratulated Indian cricket team __their success in 2011 world cup.
19) Such difficult words are always found __dictionaries.
20) We should not put __with this kind of nuisance.
21) I must apologize you __not recognizing you.
22) She has been working there __two years.
23) Parents often insist __good manners.
24) Mr. John has been the C.E.O. of his company ___ 2005.
25) Why do you lean __ the wall.
Answers - I
1) My friend is good at playing volleyball.
2) She protests against discrimination.
3) She is afraid of cats.
4) The family doesn't feel like going outing this season. .
5) The company is looking forward to giving bonus to its workers.
6) She dreams of becoming a doctor.
7) She apologized for her misbehavior.
8) Does she agree with what you explained?
9) The company is waiting ____its new C.E.O..
10) Peter reminded me of my appointment with doctor.
11) The child is allergic to insect stings.
12) Peter reminded me of my appointment with doctor.
13) The patrolling van chased the thieves through the lanes.
14) The secret of success lies in hard work.
15) She said airily that she had not smoked for ages.
16) Mr.Sethi lives in an apartment building in Hyderabad.
17) The father’s role was brought to life by the actor.
18) The P.M. congratulated Indian cricket team on their success in 2011 world cup.
19) Such difficult words are always found in dictionaries.
20) We should not put up with this kind of nuisance.
21) I must apologize you for not recognizing you.
22) She has been working there for two years.
23) Parents often insist on good manners.
24) Mr. John has been the C.E.O. of his company since 2005.
25) Why do you lean against the wall?