AN - Living English - It's made of gold


Episode 27 - Transcript
ANNE sees JOHN and describes her brother’s possessions.
ANNE is sitting in JOHN’s office.

ANNE
I thought I saw David at the market. But I didn’t get a very good look and I lost him in the crowd.

JOHN
When was this?

ANNE
Just yesterday.

JOHN
How long since you’ve seen him?

ANNE
Nearly two years.

JOHN
Are you sure you’d recognise him now?

ANNE
Of course! He’s my brother.

JOHN
It’s just, I’m thinking he might have changed his appearance – if he didn’t want to be found.

ANNE
Mr Barbour, I would recognise my brother. Believe me.

JOHN
Of course. I’m sorry. Maybe you did see him at the market. It’s just you’ve been thinking about him a lot. The mind plays tricks, you know.

ANNE
I suppose so. Maybe it wasn’t him. I don’t know.

JOHN
Is there anything that would positively identify him? Jewellery, a scar, anything?

ANNE
His watch. My father gave it to him. He always wears it.

JOHN
Can you describe it?

ANNE
It’s an old fashioned watch. An Omega. It was our grandfather’s

JOHN
What’s the band made of?

ANNE
Silver. And the watch has an inscription. It says ‘To my son Norman’

JOHN
Norman?

ANNE
That’s our father’s name. Grandfather gave it to him.

JOHN
Aha! (writes) Norman.

ANNE
In Chinese.

JOHN
In Chinese.

ANNE
He might have a neckband. I gave it to him as a going-away present.

JOHN
What’s it like?

ANNE
It’s made of tortoise-shell. It’s a disc with a design, like this.
She draws a ‘yin-yang’ design on a piece of paper.

JOHN
Ah, Yin Yang.

ANNE
That’s right. You know it. The band is made of leather. He said he’d always wear it.

JOHN
Yes, well it’s not much, but it’s something I suppose. I’ll call you next week with some news.

ANNE
I hope so.


External Link:
AN - Living English - It's made of gold