Direct And Indirect Speech - 4

The pronouns of second person are changed to the pronouns of the same person as the
object of the reporting verb.
Observe the following examples:
Direct : He said to me, “I don’t believe you.”
Indirect : He told me that he didn’t believe me
Direct : She said to him, “I don’t believe you.”
Indirect : She told him that she didn’t believe him
Direct : I said to him, “I don’t believe you.”
Indirect : I told him that I didn’t believe him.
Direct : I said to you, “I don’t believe you.”
Indirect : I told you that I didn’t believe you.
Words expressing nearness in time or place are generally changed into words expressing
distance.
Thus:
Now becomes then to-day becomes that day
Here becomes there to-morrow becomes the next day
Ago becomes before yesterday becomes the day before
Thus becomes so last night becomes the night before
Direct: He said, “I am glad to be here this evening.”
Indirect: He said that he was glad to be there that evening.
The changes do not occur if the speech is reported during the same period or at the same
place;
Ex: Direct: He says, “I am glad to be here this evening.”
Indirect: He says he is glad to be here this evening.
Similarly, this and these are changed to that and those unless the thing pointed out is
near at hand at the time of reporting the speech.