1. alienation - Estrangement.
2. aliment - That which nourishes.
3. alkali - Anything that will neutralize an acid, as lime, magnesia, etc.
4. allay - To calm the violence or reduce the intensity of; mitigate.
5. allege - To assert to be true, especially in a formal manner, as in court.
6. allegory - The setting forth of a subject under the guise of another subject of aptly suggestive likeness.
7. alleviate - To make less burdensome or less hard to bear.
8. alley - A narrow street, garden path, walk, or the like.
9. alliance - Any combination or union for some common purpose.
10. allot - To assign a definite thing or part to a certain person.
11. allotment - Portion.
12. allude - To refer incidentally, or by suggestion.
13. allusion - An indirect and incidental reference to something without definite mention of it.
14. alluvion - Flood.
15. ally - A person or thing connected with another, usually in some relation of helpfulness.