1. almanac - A series of tables giving the days of the week together with certain astronomical information.
2. aloof - Not in sympathy with or desiring to associate with others.
3. altar - Any raised place or structure on which sacrifices may be offered or incense burned.
4. alter - To make change in.
5. alteration - Change or modification.
6. altercate - To contend angrily or zealously in words.
7. alternate - One chosen to act in place of another, in case of the absence or incapacity of that other.
8. alternative - Something that may or must exist, be taken or chosen, or done instead of something else.
9. altitude - Vertical distance or elevation above any point or base-level, as the sea.
10. alto - The lowest or deepest female voice or part.
11. altruism - Benevolence to others on subordination to self-interest.
12. altruist - One who advocates or practices altruism.
13. amalgam - An alloy or union of mercury with another metal.
14. amalgamate - To mix or blend together in a homogeneous body.
15. amateur - Practicing an art or occupation for the love of it, but not as a profession.